Before pulling out the mop and the cleaning supplies, don’t forget to declutter, donate and help someone in our community get a fresh start this spring.
No matter what you donate – clothes, home goods, toys, furniture, electronics – you are helping put Nevadans into jobs. And when anyone gets a job it breaks the cycle of poverty and stabilizes families.
How does this happen? Because sales of donations in Goodwill retail stores fund job training programs that help local unemployed individuals get the skills and resources they need to overcome barriers and ultimately secure meaningful employment.
Last year, Goodwill of Southern Nevada helped more than 14,000 people get training and over 3,000 individuals get jobs at over 500 local businesses.
Here are a few donation tips:
5. Follow the One Year Rule – Haven’t worn or used the item in one year? Chances are you won’t.
4. Remove Personal Information – Clean out pockets, purses and dresser drawers before donating.
3. Pace Yourself – Make a list and tackle your spring cleaning projects a few at a time.
2. Don’t Forget about Bookshelves & Cabinets – Clutter can make you crazy no matter where it is! Clear off bookshelves and cabinets.
1. Know Who You Are Donating To – Be a saavy donor! Make sure the organization is a 501(c)(3) charitable agency so you can claim a tax deduction.